background

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Oh, where are you Christmas spirit?


Finally, it’s done!  And all because of my wonderful husband.  If it weren’t for him Christmas may have not come to our house this year.  Last night I came home from work to find the house almost completely decorated.  He had the tree up as well as the rest of the decorations.  Although, I think last night I discovered that his mission in life is definitely to make me insane. 

You see for the past couple of years we have not put any ornaments on the tree.  This is actually the first year we don’t have the damn thing fastened to the wall out of fear that turkey number 1 or turkey number 2 would try to wrestle the giant green monstrosity to the ground.  Well, last night, my dear sweet husband, looks at me, stands his ground and says,

“We are going to put ornaments on the tree this year.”

Me, with images of shattered ornaments laying all over my hard wood floor dancing in my head, replies:  “But, but, but…they’re not ready.”

Translation:  I don’t feel like spending my days constantly disciplining them for not leaving the freaking tree and all its sparkling balls alone.  I don’t feel like cleaning up broken glass and I don’t feel like putting all the ornaments away in two weeks.  

Bah, Humbug!

I am not gonna lie.  For some reason the Christmas decorating spirit has completely eluded me this year.  For those of you who know me well, you are probably shocked.  And rightly so.  My home at Christmas used to “look like Santa threw up in it.”  That little quote is compliments of my former law school roommate, Lisa. 

Up until 2 years ago, I was a gung ho, put out Christmas before Thanksgiving kinda gal.   Christmas music on November 1st?  I loved it.  Not so much anymore.   You would think it would be the opposite seeing as how I finally have a couple of kids that realize Christmas is pretty cool and not just the time of year where we drag them to see a stranger with a white beard and suit whose lap they are forced to sit on.  

Maybe I didn’t decorate because it is such a pain in the ass to put up and drag down and I am exhausted.  Yep, that is definitely the biggest reason.  These two turkeys, while I love them with all of my heart and soul, are wearing me out and I am tired. 

However, this morning, when they came out of their room to the house and tree trimmed and beautiful with their faces full of sheer joy and delight, I was reminded of a simple fact. 

This is all for them and they are more than worth the pain of a couple of broken ornaments.

Love and peace

~Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment