background

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

From Toy Story to the 90's...

So I have never actually seen the movie Toy Story 2.  However, I can quote all the lines, probably word for word, from start to finish.  How the hell does that happen?

See, this is one of the turkey's "must watch now" movies which is in the car at all times.  Before we purchased the Toyota Sienna minivan, aka, mommy mobile, we had the dual dvd players that you wrapped around the head rest for the boys' viewing enjoyment.  Only problem with that were the cords that hung within kicking distance of the turkey's feet.  Those lovely $150 pieces of shit maybe lasted a month.  

Now we have the beautiful, installed-in-the-ceiling, DVD system.  And it even comes with wireless headphones.  Only problem?  Turkeys don't like headphones, so I am stuck listening to Toy Story 2 until I'm ready to pull my hair out.  I am desperately looking forward to the day when they are ready for the wacky world of headphones and I can quietly jam out to my Adult Contemporary-slash-90's music.  

Ahhh, now that, my friends, is bliss.  Nothing puts me in a better mood than reliving my angst filled high school days by screeching out the lyrics to Alanis' Morrisette's "You Oughta Know" and remembering with a smile how naughty I felt when I sang the words, "Are you thinking of me when you f#$k her?"  Them's were some dangerous words for a teenager around my house.  

"I Will Always Love You" by the unforgettable Whitney was my break up song of choice pretty much until I graduated.  I would sit there on my bed and watch The Bodyguard and cry and cry and rail against whichever young man broke my tender heart.  There were a few back then, I fell "in love" easily.  The other one, of course, was "My Heart Will Go On."  The epic ballad that was Titanic.  I was in college at the time, but only 19 so this definitely goes in the young and dumb category.  How could you not apply that song to every aspect of life, I mean, really?  

Then there were the jamming songs, one of which I already mentioned.  The others in high school included a little Hootie, Salt n Pepa (What exactly is "Shoop"ing anyways?), Tag Team (Whoomp! There it is), and Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, whom I would allow to show me some good vibrations any day especially with those abs.  Marky Mark, that is, not the funky bunch.  I definitely think he is one of my Top Five (sorry husband, but I must be honest).  

I have fond memories of playing and rewinding tapes millions of times trying to memorize all the words to several of these songs.  Hootie, not so much, but the others - definitely.  It would have been nice to have Google or YouTube back then to learn lyrics, it would have saved my parents some of their sanity. A click of a mouse and they would not have been subjected to the same verse of the same song 150 times in a row.  

Then there were the "party hits."  You know, the songs that made it on the "Now That's What I call Music:  VOL 45" CD's.  Classics, such as the Macarena, which is still a hit on the wedding circuit, Rump Shaker and C'mon N Ride it (The Train).  Am I the only one that thinks nasty thoughts when that song comes on during the 90's lunch hour?

I would be completely remiss if I didn't mention some of the best Hip Hop songs-slash-artists of the decade.  I loved me some Dr. Dre and Snoop Doggy Dog.  I think I was 14 when I bought "The Chronic."  I'm pretty sure I had absolutely no idea what that was until I hit 16, but damn, I could rap every word to those songs.  

A few others need a shout out including Boyz to Men, Bel Biv Devoe, Color Me Badd, Tupac and Coolio.  I will likely get some shit from the husband over including "the greatest rapper of all time" in with the likes of the singers of "I Wanna Sex You Up" and "Motown Philly."  He'll live.  

I think I'll dig out those headphones and try them out on the turkeys when I get my van back.

Love and peace,

Andrea

1 comment:

  1. Love this post, Andrea! Of course the nineties were my hayday too and I have my own fond memories of all the afformentioned songs. My Heart Will Go On was my Junior Prom theme. How could we slowdance to this while keeping a straight face? "Iceberg! Right Ahead!"

    ReplyDelete