background

Saturday, January 21, 2012

The NEW kids shows

Okay, moms and dads of preschoolers and toddlers, this is for you.  Have you all noticed a difference in the new shows that have been introduced on Nick and Nick Jr. lately?  Specifically, I am referring to Team Umizoomi and Bubble Guppies.

Is anyone else disturbed by the strange new twists these shows appear to be taking?  Bubble Guppies, for instance, takes place entirely underwater.  And the characters are mermaid type creatures.  Yet the backdrop for these shows includes trees, parks and cars.  Last time I checked these things were not typically found in an underwater type atmosphere.  Are we confusing and scarring our children for life by allowing them to watch this show and other equally weird programs?  Oh and I should mention that my kids freaking love this show.  We could be having the mother of all meltdowns and the tune for Bubble Guppies starts up and they are enthralled.  I shouldn't be complaining, it is really rather wonderful.  But, damn, the premise is just plain weird.

No weirder, I supposed than Dora, the 8-ish year old little girl who goes on adventures with her talking monkey friend, Boots with nary a parental figure in sight.  No weirder than Max & Ruby, the creepy little rabbits living in a house again with no parental figures to be seen.  Ruby appears to also be about 8-ish and she apparently is the only caregiver for the non-talking toddler aged Max, who is constantly getting into trouble.  And don't get me started on Peppa Pig.  That british pig family has some serious issues.

Then there is Team Umizoomi.  A group of miniature super heroes rushing through a city in their Zoomi car using "math powers" to save real live children from some sort of child-like catastrophe is an, ahem, interesting concept, to say the least.  But my kids love this show too!  And they count along and answer the questions and laugh so who I am to judge.  It would appear as though they are learning something.  It's just so weird.

Also, along the same vein, do you think it's weird that some kids are Nick Jr. kids while other kids are PBS kids?  PBS kids are those that enjoy Sesame Street, Barney, Dinosaur Train and Caillou.  Nick Jr. kids are those that enjoy Dora, Diego, Wonder Pets, Bubble Guppies, etc.  Is one better than the other?  When the boys were little, we watched Sesame Street and Barney, but it didn't keep their attention.  Imagine my shock when I would flip over to Nick Jr. and the talking chick, turtle and guinea pig from Wonder Pets would captivate them.  So from that point forward, I was on Nick Jr.'s team for sure.  Every once in a while I try Sesame Street on Netflix or Dinosaur Train.  Hell, I've even put on Barney.  Nothing.  I can't even get them to watch it for a second.  It's like they have this pre-ordained destiny to be Nick Jr. kids.

Now isn't that weird?

Love and peace,

~Andrea

1 comment:

  1. My kids like nick Jr. too. Logan loves to watch Tom and jerry on Boomerang. I thinks it's an age thing. Their taste in cartoons changes as they get older.

    ReplyDelete